July 23, 2014

George Washington's Birthplace

Last summer when we had a British guest and we took them to see George Washington's Birthplace. I never blogged about it and I thought I would share my experience.

George Washington's birthplace is a historic landmark (& national monument) and is taken care of by the National Park Service.

If you want more information visit: http://www.nps.gov/gewa/faqs.htm

The main page describes it as: 
"In the heart of the Northern Neck of Virginia stands a tribute to America’s founding father, George Washington. Although only here a short time, the ideas that Washington learned here, helped shape the man he would become and forever alter the destiny of the United States of America."

Not many people have heard of it, because it is a very small place to see. He was born in a very modest house compared to others in the area (like Stratford Hall - I'll be making a blog post on that later!)

These are some of the photos of the information center (brick) and the memorial home (white).



The thing is - this Memorial house is only a replica of the actual house. No one knows for sure what the house actually looked like. The reconstructed house is based off of how most middle-class colonial Virginia planters homes looked like around 1730.

The house might be small - but the view was really nice. This place is secluded and not over-crowded with tourists (like it is at Mount Vernon or Gunston Hall).




Pope's Creek Plantation is about 80 miles from Washington, D.C. and I think if you live in the metropolitan area, it's a great day trip. There is also Westmoreland State Park and Stratford Hall which are only a few minutes away and great places to see as well!



I've also decided to add a song that I've been loving at the end of each of my blog posts. What do you guys think of that? Feel free to leave a comment!

x,

Margaret


Song of the day:
"I wanna get better" - Bleachers

No comments

Post a Comment